Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Response to Orwell's "Politics and the English Language"

When I Googled this to actually find the essay I saw that George Orwell wrote it in 1946. All the countries of the world were trying to recover from a war that was caused by a dictator who's cult of personality lay squarely in his ability to speak passionately to his people and dupe them into genocide, murder and a war that would eventually destroy half of Europe.  We have had many more dictators since then and many more politicians who have used the same tactics to push their agendas and yet we havn't stopped as Orwell did to say a word about why we keep letting these veiled speeches rule us over.
 It is hard to imagine how much our language and writing has changed since then.  I can relate to his frustration towards bad writing  because I see how bad it is today.  Pick up just about any news paper or magazine and they are filled with bad metaphors and buzz words which don't really express the true meaning that the writer should convey.  They are often meer puppets to conventional wisdom and play every scene to the masses that consume them rather than saying something real that makes a person actually think not stand up and cheer.  Likewise our literary works have gone downhill in quality where a book writen for teenage girls is a best seller, (talking about the Twighlight series here), who is reading this crap with any sort of seriousness? 
The way Orwell ties political speeches into this is masterfull.  I can't think that I've seen one single speech delivered by a politician in my time that was anything but a vailed effort to conseal something or say a lot about nothing while sounding and looking really powerfull.  I can say without worry of reproach by nearly anyone that watching former President George W. Bush speak actually made me feel scared for the future of our country and not because the terrorism threat level was red, but because I was afraid in his vagueness and stupidity that he would say something that would outrage his own people and end in a bloody overthrow on the White House lawn. 
Now we have President Obama, a wonderous pontificator but only because his audience is being swayed by fancy rhetoric and aren't actually listening to what he says which doesn't make any real sense anyway or watching what he is doing while they are buying plates with his face on it off the television.  If he were actually sucessfully pulling us out of some nasty situation, perhaps on a Nelson Mandella level where we are now free from Apartide, then I could understand the lauding and fawning over him, but he hasn't done that and he probably won't do that because as is he doesn't have to, he seems to be able to stand on the shear fact that he made it to the White House.  Now he has speech writers who can spin a web of well intentioned phrases that sound really nice but are useless in all practical application and the people will love him for it because they don't understand what is being said.
I wonder if it really is the writers responsiblity to change this trend as Orwell says.  I can see where they would have the power to change the way they write but are the masses going to respond anymore to this better way of writing?  I wonder if we are too late.  Have we all become numb to this reduced form of expression?  Would we even know good writing if it was staring us in the face?  I would have to say the answer is a resounding no considering the newspaper with the highest current circulation is a tabloid.  If writers are goind to start writing better I suggest they use baby steps and start there, although I would hate to see a writer toil to write a better written story on the next level of stupidity to come out of the "Jon and Kate Plus 8" drama.  George Orwell would be rolling in his grave.

1 comment:

  1. Some great considerations here, Teslin. Nice work. Also, though I've never read _Twilight_, I've heard that the prose (writing) is pretty terrible. I'll have to glance at it sometime to see if such claims are true...

    ReplyDelete