Monday, October 19, 2009

Reading Response

I really liked at the start of the article when Ballanger makes reference to the Idaho Statesman. There isn't a more opinionated newspaper out there and get a kick out of reading the editorials and the letters in response to them. You are going to always have two views on things and there isn't a better place to do it than in a newspaper or on a talk show. On the second page where Ballanger makes reference to arguing with his father really hit home to me. Seemed like unless i was arguing with him, we never talked. The two most important thing I have learned about getting into a argument is to to me pick one that is winnable and to make sure you know what you are talking about. I had really never thought of a argument being a process until reading this article. Most of the time it seems to just come second nature. The open model of argument was very interesting to me and made me take a step back and think about the process. you really don't think about the investigation portion of it until it is right in front of you. Ballanger points out that there are always two sides of a argument but if it is a a topic or subject that you strongly believe in, you always tend to forget the one that doesn't necessary agree with you view point. I also agree that it is a civic duty as well. We have had many men and women die for the right that we have. Many people do not get the opportunity to argue or question things and we shouldn't take it for granted. I had never really considered that there were different types of argumentative writing until this article and where each comes into play. Ballanger does a very good job of explaining the differences. I believe that this has been the most interesting piece that we have read to this date. Stanton

1 comment:

  1. I agree this is the most interesting reading so far. I never even thought that writing an argument paper could make a difference till now...

    ReplyDelete