Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Orwell Reading

I really enjoyed this reading. Using shorter, more concise and english rather than greek words seems like common sense. apparently not for the time period that Mr. Orwell had wrote this essay. I have always tried to use shorter sentences when possible and clearer words when possible and it was neat to read an essay by someone famous who thinks along the same lines as me. when Mr. Orwell used the first examples I had a hard time finding the issues with the writing, probably because I have become accustomed to using catch phrases come to mind and describe things for me. after reading through the essay, i realized that i am at fault just as much as those writers. even in my ethnography I am just as at fault(even here with this catch phrase) as any writer that Orwell could have cited. My favorite parts were about the pretentious dictation and useless words. Doing some of the research I have found more that my fair share of pretentious dictation from high and mighty writers. There is no reason that people have to talk down to others since they have done a little research. useless words are another great part of his essay. some of these words are just plain ridiculous. words that have mroe than one meaning or meanings that cannot be agreed upon are just another way of putting extra words into papers, essays, and other forms of writing especially political.

1 comment:

  1. Some good analysis a a couple of the essay's key points, Justin.

    ReplyDelete